Nov 19, 2008

The Fun We Can Have From Natural Disasters (not as heartless as it sounds)

Three words

Pop

Can

Drive

For hurricane Katrina, and let me point this out. We were not helping the hurricane, like buying it winds and rains and floods. Not that. If I wanted to do that I would'nt be collecting pop cans.

So here we are, going house to house collecting all sorts of cans. Oh yeah, i've got stories.

1. The Guy Who Asked What We Were Selling
Umm this one explains itself, we told him we were selling empty trash bags. He laughed, and he was really old. (See previous post) So yea, I got an old guy to laugh. He gave us about 4 Mountain Dew cans.

2. The Average Joe Who Turned Out to be Cool
I may have made a type-o, nothing about this guy was ordinary, first of all, he had a house with those cool knockers that you see on a haunted house or a castle or something. But cutting to the chase here, he gave us each a Coke. So really the title should be, "The Dude with the Cool House Who Gave us Cokes" or "The Man Whose Horrible Quantity of Cans Was Made Up for by His Free, Non-Alchoholic Beverages."

3. The Woman With the Big Dog
Uuuum yea. Do I even have to say anything?

4. The Lady Who Only Let Us Take One Bag
When an elderly woman in a one peice pajama suit comes to the door, you know things are going to be interesting. It went like this. I started saying how we were from a chuch youth group, and that we were collecting pop cans. Pajama woman in and yells "WHAT ARE YOU COLLECTIN' FOR!" Not wanting to upset this woman, I quickly told her that we were helping Katrina. (We had already made 6 or 7 "Katrina is my wife" jokes by now.)The lady ponders. Really, it takes me less time to figure out what I'm wearing in the morning. Then she speaks. She tells us in her already hard to take seriously because she's wearing a one-sie voice, that we may take ONLY ONE bag. Emphasis on only one. So we go into her garage and she stares us down while we only take one bag. . . like we were really going to take both, it would have been about. . . 60 cents. Nevertheless, we got out of there fast.

5. Back to The Woman With the Big Dog
That dog was huge! It was the kind you see in movies where the guy gets his legs ripped off! It even had one of those spiky collars! I was seriously scared. And I usually like dogs.

5 1/2. The Lady Who Thought it was Halloween
I'm not saying anything here either, sometimes it's just sad. (See a few posts back)

6. Best For Last
So when me and Jonah were about at dog lady's house, the other guys who were collecting with us were across the street. We noticed because a man was out in the driveway with them. No ordinary man here either, I'm pretty sure he had just chugged most of the beer bottles that he had given to the guys. These were the only words I heard him say, try to imagine an incredible southern, farmerish, drunkard accent. "That there is big boy pop cans kids!" To make it all worth it, Meijer didnt accept the kind of bottles he gave them.

That's that, we did a good service and got a great time and two cokes out of it, this one is for you Louisiana.

3 comments:

  1. you guys are legendary!
    years from now, there will be movies made, books written and a number of children named after you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahah that was so funnyy. pretty sure you guys just made my night.loli cant stop picturing you guys collect pop cans at the one-si ladies house.
    hahahahahahahahahahaha
    -??

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the last part, u guys rock!

    ReplyDelete